Thursday, May 5, 2011

Beginning

I said I wouldn't do this....


There really isn't anywhere else to compile everything I play with and want to share, so here goes...


It isn't a good idea to tell me something won't work. I'll cogitate on it until a way around the block appears just to prove it will work. Having the blessing of knowing Ralph Moore reinforced that. If it doesn't work this way, it likely will some other way. His admonition was "don't stir the pot", and that goes for everything from crossing roses to propagation and gardening. "Because, that's the way it's done" ISN'T a proper response! To my mind, "because it WORKS" is a much more respectable answer.


It sometimes takes us a little while to learn enough to come to the realization we really don't know much about any subject. Roses taught me very quickly that I can't know it all. As Ralph always said, "just about the time you think you know the rules, the rose changes them!". Yup. Every stinking time!


I've been called a "rose heretic", and I consider that a compliment. I do think I'm rather pragmatic about many things. As long as it isn't illegal, immoral or fattening, I'll look for the most efficient, most cost effective method to do pretty much everything. I'll also try to understand the basic mechanics, logic and science behind whatever it is so I can figure out the cheapest, easiest and fastest way to accomplish it. Growing, breeding and propagating roses are no exceptions. I hope to be able to share some of the fun I've had, and continue to have as well as some of the discoveries shared with me and those which I have discovered,  playing in the roses. Should you be interested, you're invited to come and share in the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment